This is the first and only time I’ve ever made biscotti. Naturally, I wanted to use the highest quality ingredients. At the time, I was able to find Isis Biodynamic Stone Ground Wheat Flour at Whole Foods, but no more. I also used biodynamic can sugar. The ghee isn’t certified, but I believe that it comes from a farm that follows most of the practices.
I didn’t know this, the trick to biscotti is the double baking. That’s what makes it super crunchy. I’m not usually a biscotti fan, in fact before having this one I was never a biscotti fan. But my boss at the time wanted biscotti, so he got it. And so did I. And it was good. Happy baking!
3 1/4 cups biodynamic wheat flour
1 1/2 cups pistachios
1 cup biodynamic sugar
1/2 cup biodynamic ghee
3 eggs (Apricot Lane Farms)
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Turn pistachios into pistachios bits. I was joking with the mandolin, I just chopped.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients to form a thick dough, then fold in pistachios. Split in half and form to flattish loaves on the baking sheet.
- Bake fro 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the biscotti and let it cool to the touch. Cut into strips, separate and place the biscotti back in the oven for 10 more minutes.